Tuesday 9 September 2008

Tobalicious


It's my baby's birthday.  Not so baby anymore at 3 years old.


Toby came into the world late one Friday night on September 9, 2005 about 2 1/2 weeks earlier than expected.  Back pains in the afternoon turned into labour pains at dinner time.  I sent a text to Donald at work, "I hope your coming soon cause I think somebody else is too".  With that in mind Donald arrived home with a bunch of red roses and chocolates for me.  With full on labour pains all I could do was breath and crawl on the floor.  Luckily for us my mum had arrived that day from Brisbane and was all set to look after Sam & Ethan.


I spent most of my labour on the floor (on hands and knees) at home and on the floor with a bean bag at the hospital for the last little bit.  Our lovely midwife Anne was running between two rooms as both her girls were in labour at the same time and delivered within 10 minutes of each other.  This time I delivered Toby on my hands and knees.  After 6 hrs of labour little Toby came out wailing and shivering.  Donald was there the whole time gently encouraging me and  feeding me ice chips and juice boxes.


You  were my smallest baby yet weighing in at 7lbs 8oz I think.  You had this wonderful light brown hair with blonde tips especially at the back, it was as if you'd had your hair specially done for your birthday.  Your face was so familiar, so delicate and tiny I just wanted you to snuggle up to my bosomy warmth after such a tough journey into the world. 




Sam & Ethan were so excited to meet you, both now being big brothers.  We still hadn't decided on a name for you even though we knew you were going to be a boy.  Sam & Ethan had chosen Jasper a few months earlier and felt it was the right name for you...Donald had other ideas.....Uther, Emmet or Seth.  However the second night after you were born I felt good about a name (from our list of possibilities) and I asked you what you thought of Toby Jasper and you immediately smiled.  So I figured that your name was decided and we all tried it out the next day and so it stuck.


You were my third breast fed baby, which I loved being able to do for you, for 20 months we had special times together every day.  You have grown up so quickly, I guess having two older brothers does that to you, trying to keep up with them and their play.  Ever since you started walking at 9 months old you've been running everywhere, there's no stopping you, you have been our little running man.


Everyone is amazed by your gorgeous hair that has a life of its own, where ever you run those curls bounce up and down.  I still can't bring myself to cut your hair I feel it would be like cutting off your confidence or personality.  You are mad about trampoline jumping with your brothers and building block towers with daddy and just hanging out with daddy.  You love playing Pokemon and Star Wars lightsabre battles with Sam & Ethan.


We are all crazy about you Toby, and we love hearing you tell us that you love mummy and daddy and Sam and Ethan everyday, several times a day. I love your prayers at night and how you think of everyone and everything to be thankful for, I love your laughter, your hugs and kisses.  I love how you take possession of the blue step in the kitchen to see what I'm up to and if anyone else steps on it it's like they've broken a sacred rule of yours.  I love the voices and characters you take on as you play with your toys.  I love how you ask me to play with you several times a day.  I love snuggling up with you for your afternoon nap and how you let me have one of your blankies to cuddle.  I love how much you love books and stories being read to you.  I love how you and Ethan sometimes snuggle together in your bed in the mornings and sometimes sneakily at night.  I love how Sam gives you horse back rides on his back and you hold on for dear life.  I love it when you get a cookie you immediately ask for one for Sam and one for Ethan, always thinking of your brothers.  There are so many things I love about you Toby.

What joy you bring to our lives and what fun too.  We love you so much.  Happy Birthday my Tobalicious delicious boy, Toblerone, Tobyone Kanobi, little Boogy boy.
  

Lots and lots of love 
Mummy 
xxxooo

3 comments:

Stacy said...

He is so cute!! What an adorable baby too!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOBY!!!

Mari said...

Happy Birthday Toby!!!

Carli said...

Beautiful birthday tribute!!

You're looking very cautiously at Donald there in the post-birth photo. Same look I give Win after birth when I don't know what the hell I look like and I want the camera away :)

Love your hair Toby, wish it was mine!