Friday 22 August 2008

Childhood dreams

Ethan confided in me one day what he wanted to be when he grew up.  To me this was exciting finding out the hopes and dreams of my beautiful 6 year old.  What has he been thinking about, being a vet, a farmer, a chef, an artist??  He said to me, "Mummy when I am 10 years old I want to be a Pokemon trainer"!  It made me realize that my boys have dreams which may not match those that I have for them and that they need their childhood dreams to get them through the harsh world of reality that I keep forcing on them.  Let their dreams live on.........



Well yesterday Ethan's dream partly came true.  It was book week at school and they had their book parade.  This is where the K-2 years get to dress up as a character from their favourite books.  So Ethan went as Ash Ketchum the Pokemon trainer from the Pokemon book series.  These are the boys favourite books at the moment and they have been read and re-read until the new issues come out in school book club.  


Ethan only decided the night before that he wanted to be Ash so we had to magically come up with the right costume pieces.  His hat had cloth hockey tape covering it to make it white, his gloves were my washing up glove cotton liners, dyed in green food colouring with the fingers cut off.  I think Ethan was pretty pleased.  Ethan was really home for the day with conjunctivitis but we couldn't miss the book parade and was able to dress up and parade with his class mates and then come home with Toby & I.

4 comments:

Mari said...

Book parade is great!! I had one Pokemon trainer and one "Horrid Henry as an old man" (T really wanted to wear his grey beard)

sirpa said...

Great costume! When we were still living in Oz Adiel cought me with a question: "How do you become a superhero?". Now what can you say? I guess I said he has to be bit by an exotic spider or something like that. But then Suzi reminded me that it probably wasn't the best idea to tell him that in Australia, where he could find a redback or a funnel web and get them to bite him. I was a bit nervous after that...

Roger said...

Thomas wanted to be a pokemon trainer too - at about the same age I think - though maybe he was older. We still have a Pikachu costume that Thomas wore in a roadshow once - it wasn't as good as being Ash but Pikachu was his favourite Pokemon.

Carli said...

Pokemon must be really big in your house! That is so funny!