Monday 20 April 2009

7 years old


There's something special about Ethan.  He has always been my easy going, happy boy, wise beyond his 7 years and with those dimples and those eyes he melts my heart every day.

The day he was born began very early one Saturday morning around 3am.  It began with regular back pain that just didn't go away.  By 6am the labour pains had started and so I woke Donald and said "I think it's Ethan's Birthday today".  We had decided on Ethan's name on a weekend away in Eumundi in a lovely B&B and had been calling him by his name ever since that weekend.  The only other person who was in on the secret was Sam.  Now the grandparents tried so hard to weasle out of Sam this name, but he wouldn't tell...or they just couldn't understand him...Eeeefan Jack was a little hard to distinguish from a two year old.

Now Ethan wasn't due for another 2 1/2 weeks and our baby sitters for Sam (my mum and dad) hadn't arrived in Sydney yet, they were just about to enjoy their weekend, until we asked them how soon they could get to Sydney.  Our wonderful neighbours, the Scanu's, were packing their car ready to go away for the holidays but waited a few hours with Sam until my cousin Kerri arrived to be our emergency baby sitter.  I think Kerri was a little freaked out at seeing me on my hands and knees blowing through my contractions.  It was about all I could do,  walking didn't last long before I had to get on all fours to get through the contractions.  So with Kerri hanging out with Sam, Donald and I headed off to the hospital.  Not long after our arrival Ethan was born at 11.46 am weighing in at 3570g, a little lighter than his big brother.  Sam was so excited to have a little brother, one that he could see at last, a little brother whose name was Eeefan Jack.  My mum and dad finally made it down to Sydney by the Sunday night, I think.  After my labour was over, I made it to my room with Donald and our new son, to be greeted by a wonderful flower arrangement sent by our lovely neighbours before they departed on their holiday.  




He was always a happy, smiley baby, very relaxed and just happy to be in the world.



Ever since Sam started soccer, Ethan has been kicking the ball with him and so started playing for a team when he was 3 3/4 years old. The youngest member of the club, and he wasn't afraid to get in and kick the ball.  


You are such a gentle soul and always the gentleman we love you very much. 

Happy 7th Birthday Ethan


Lots of Love
Mummy, Daddy, Sam and Toby
xxxxx

3 comments:

Roger said...

Happy Birthday Ethan - hope it's a wonderful day.

Deso said...

This is such a beautiful photo - it now graces my desktop. x Des

Debbie said...

what a sweet boy!!!