Saturday 19 September 2009

A day in the Mountains




When I was a nanny in Goondiwindi back in 1987 I made a life long friend. Her name was Debbie and she was a nanny on the other side of the MacIntyre river, if I remember correctly she was on the NSW side of the river and I was on the Queensland side. She took me to my first B&S ball and helped me to feel not so isolated in the country when I was only 17 and first time away from family.

It's been 16 years since I last saw Debbie, we've both been living on different sides of the planet for a while and you could say Perth is a long way away to get together for a catch up. Well just the other week we finally managed a catch up, even if only for a day. Debbie and her family were on a road trip to the east coast and so had a small window of opportunity to get together. The children finally got to meet Debbie and Darryl and their beautiful daughter Alise.


I took the boys out of school for the day and we all spent the day in Katoomba in the Blue Mountains. It was a crisp, clear, Spring day. We had a little picnic and a walk to the Three Sisters.



It was just nice to speak face to face and hang out together at last.



The boys really enjoyed the bush walk, rocks to climb up and slide down...



...and an ice cream at the end of the walk at Toby's suggestion.


Prolonging the inevitable good buy.



Thanks for a memorable day Debbie, and thanks for taking that wee drive across the Nullabor.

No comments: