Monday 30 June 2008

1975....I think

This is one of my favourite photos.  It was taken on holidays at Coolum in Queensland around 1975.  We stayed in a little flat and one day my mum dropped a bottle of milk out of the fridge and it smashed on the floor.  Of course I went over to help clean up, or really just to sticky beak and I stood on a huge piece of broken glass.  I think the nearest place to go to was an ambulance station where they stitched my foot up, I still have a huge scar across the bottom of my foot.


The little Indian dress and head band I'm wearing was made by my mum out of flour sacks.  I think Gabby & I both got them made for Halloween.  I remember Gabby's school class were allowed to come in costumes for the day and I really wanted to go to school dressed up too.  So I did and I was the only one in my class that came dressed up.  I also remember a man at school who was up on a ladder changing light bulbs and he said something about "the Indian's are coming" when I walked past and I felt really embarrassed.

Another thing I remember about that holiday was a kite we had.  It didn't fly very well and needed a tail.  I have vague recollections of my Aunty Desley tying a few bras on to the kite to make a tail.  Funny things we remember.  I'm sure there's more to the story, I just need my rellies to fill in the gaps.

4 comments:

sirpa said...

Yes, it's funny things we do remember. I remember all kinds of awkward and very unnecessary things from the past but when it comes to remembering something important...say about chemistry or other sience stuff it's so much more difficult. I wonder why?

Lisha said...

Facts & Meaning, I'm no good at remembering facts, but if it mean't something personal I'd remember it, but how do you convert chemistry, science, mathematics etc. to make it all personal...... a rather exhausting process. I like the old memories as time knocks the all the rough edges off :+D

Mari said...

Those are some great memories! (well, perhaps not the bit about stepping on broken glass...).

The memory is a funny thing. I think some of our best memories are all tied up with emotions and that's why we remember so well.

Carli said...

Classic pic! (And everything it conjures up for you).