Monday 9 June 2008

Kids Day

For the past few years we have started a tradition in the Walker household.  Every time mothers day comes around the boys start asking "When's kids day?".  Now my mum and dad's response to that when we asked was always "Kids day is everyday".  I still tell my boys about this, but I also decided to do something about it as well.  I declared that the first public holiday after mothers day (usually the Queens Birthday holiday in June) was to be kids day.  The boys get to wake up to little surprises on the dining room table, they get to choose what they would like for breakfast and pretty much get to play nintendo on and off all day in between other fun stuff.


The lead up to kids day has been a little hazardous, with rain all week and not enough energy being burnt, so last night the crazyness rose to a crescendo where "Kids day" was in threat of being cancelled.  However after the boys were all tucked up in bed and I finally got to relax I softened and brought out the little goodies on the dining room table and left a note for the boys.

They chose soft boiled eggs and toast soldiers for breakfast and the first activity was a light sabre battle outside in between rain showers.  Sam called himself the red ninja, not really sure about Ethan and Toby, I think they were just happy to be attacking the red ninja.



While it rained I cleaned the house (finally) and the boys played nintendo.  Late in the afternoon the boys even managed to get a bike ride in.  They had been wanting to ride their bikes for the last week but the rain stopped that activity as well as me not being able to go out and supervise while trying to get things done inside.

Kids day finished with lasagne and lemon meringue pie, Family home evening and a game of sardines. 

4 comments:

Mari said...

What a gresat idea! I love your kids day. I bet your boys felt special all day! You're a wonderful mother, Lisha.

Suzi said...

You are such a good Mum Lisha!!

Stacy said...

What a great idea! I may have to try that one if my kids ever ask when "kids day" is - they haven't even thought about that I don't think. You are awesome!

Carli said...

Wish you were my Mum!