Friday 13 June 2008

Footrot Flats


When I was younger.......a long time ago in a galaxy far far away......... I used to go to the newsagent and scour the shelves looking for the latest edition of Murray Balls Footrot Flats comics.  My family used to read them in the Courier Mail newspaper everyday and grew to love "the dog".  I still have my collection and love to read through them every now and then to have a good laugh.  I love reading about life on the New Zealand farm where Murray Ball gives such character and expression to all of the animals.....and humans.  He is such a clever artist and writer.


The boys have now been reading them and devouring them.  Even my mum read them all when she stayed with us.  Every spare moment in the last few months, Sam & Ethan have had their noses in the comics, occasionally you'd hear a chuckle, but mostly they would want to share the funny page that they had read, "Mummy look at this one" or "Why does the dog think he's the Scarlet Manuka?"


One day I was getting hot and cranky and Sam asked if I was "on heat", it made me laugh so hard.  If you know of the comics you would know that Jess the bitch is often on heat tantalizing the dog with her long lashes and lazy smile.  The boys are discovering a little more about farm life and the birds and the bees, what better way than with a bit of comedy to bring up the topic.

Sadly the books are out of print and the only way to find them is in second hand book shops or ebay.  I am now addicted to ebay, searching and searching for more of the books.  I've been adding to my collection and it's like my birthday everyweek when a parcel arrives with one of our missing books.  If anyone has Footrot Flats numbers 23 to 27, or Weekenders 5 to 8, we would most happily take them off your hands.  You will be compensated of course :+D

2 comments:

Carli said...

You've just bought back a whole heap of growing up memories! Hope you find your missing issues!

Suzi said...

Oh gosh! please take Steve's old stash off my hands! It was boxed up for the bookshop.. I'll email you all I have.