Saturday 4 October 2008

Tomato soup days

I love tomato soup days, and today is one of them.  After a stinking hot 32 degree day yesterday it is down to 20 degrees and raining today.  


Tomato soup is one of my family's favourite meals.  Everyone is guaranteed to smile and laugh while eating this meal and sing me wonderful praises saying this is the best meal, even if I just open a couple of cans of Heinz big red tomato soup all are happy.  There are times when I'll actually cook the soup from scratch.  I usually make a yummy damper to go with it a chives, cheese and bacon damper.  I think the fresh damper just makes the meal complete.

Today for lunch I did it easy, soup from a tin and soft buns from the bakery, everyone was still happy.  But I'll still share the recipes so that you will have praises sung to you too (I hope).

Chive & Bacon Damper

2  bacon rashers fat trimmed off and chopped finely
2  cups flour
4  teaspoons baking powder
30g butter
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (tasty or colby)
2 tblsp finely chopped fresh chives (spring onions or ordinary onions)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water

Cook bacon in pan until crisp then put on paper towel to drain.
Put flour in bowl add baking powder and rub in butter, add cheese,
chives and bacon.  Add milk and enough water to mix to a soft sticky
dough.  Turn dough onto floured surface, knead until smooth.  Shape
dough into a long loaf shape (to make sure the centre cooks); place
on flat tray lined with baking paper.  Mark a few cuts into the dough
so it opens out a little while cooking and brush with a little extra milk.
Bake in moderately hot oven 190 to 200 degrees C.  Serve with butter 
and tomato soup.

PS: the damper still is delicious without bacon and add whatever herbs
you really like to make it your flavour

Tomato Soup

1 800g can chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 stalk celery, diced
1 small carrot, diced
1 brown onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup heavy cream, optional
Directions
Preheat oven to 220 degrees C.

Strain the chopped canned tomatoes, reserving the juices, and spread onto a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, to taste, drizzle with some of the olive oil and roast until caramelized, about 15 minutes.  I also roast a few whole cloves of garlic along with the tomatoes.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion and garlic, cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the roasted chopped canned tomatoes, reserved tomato juices, vegie stock, bay leaf and butter. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add basil and cream, if using. Puree with a hand held immersion blender until smooth.

PPS:  Dipping the damper is allowed :+) if not compulsory.  Let me know if you try the recipes good new and bad.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Yummy, that looks so good. I will have to try it! It was really hot yesterday too and tonight we are getting a little rain :) I LOVE the fall.

Caroline said...

Oh yum I'm going to have to try this. I love it when people put reciepes on their blogs. That is something i would like to do.You are an inspirational mum.
Please check in at my blog

Anonymous said...

Hey! Guess who this is? I'll try your tomato soup with vigor!!!! Would you like me to film the kids eating it? See if you can recognize who is who.......

Roger said...

Finally made the tomato soup and damper - big hit - great recipe.