Thursday 12 January 2012

Making soft pretzels


Yesterday the boys and I made pretzels, lovely soft, warm pretzels sprinkled with melted butter and parmesan cheese.  The recipe was inspired by Gina @ Home Joys.

Wholemeal Pretzels

5 cups wholemeal plain flour
1 cup warm water
1 cup warm milk
1 tbsp yeast
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soft butter
1 tsp salt

I put all of the ingredients in the breadmaker and set onto dough.  When it was done I rolled it out and cut into strips like Gina suggests to make it easier to shape into your own pretzel or bun shapes.


I made some twisty rolls and, as the boys called them, piles of poo.


When shaped and on the oven tray we brushed them with extra melted butter and sprinkled with finely grated parmesan cheese and put them in the oven for 7-8 minutes at 230°C.


The boys shaped the letters of their first names and a few other shapes.  Toby made an elephant, seen above left of Ethan's E and he also made a cross bow with an arrow, but that didn't make it to the photo's and was gobbled up too quickly.


Ethan made the only real pretzel shape in the first photo above, but it didn't matter what shape was baked they all tasted great.






3 comments:

Suzi said...

I was just reading home joys thinking, "isn't it funny how I just made some last week".. now you are too! The only thing is you and Gina both have it down pat. I did the bagely version and they were... well... BAD.
I'll have to try the baked soft version! .. and probably not sourdough.
xx they look yummeee!

charliemator said...

I see toby was not only making the pretzel, he was also enjoying some eating, evidenced by food crumbs around his mouth.

Lisha said...

Actually Charlie, that was blueberry jam from breakfast around his mouth ha ha ha.