Wednesday 5 March 2008

Magnificent Dahlias

Our neighbours down the road have some wonderful Dahlias growing in their garden. My favourite ones are the orange ones, which of course they have, they also have a lovely dark pink one too.  They always remind me of Autumn in Canada.  They are such strong, yet decorative flowers with their perfect layers of petals opening out from the centre of the flower.  All in the combination of my favourite colours, oranges, reds, yellows and pinks.
 

I will never forget the most magnificent display of Dahlias I have ever seen at the Buchart Gardens on Vancouver Island.  We were there in October 1998 (if I remember correctly) it was Autumn and there were thousands of blossoms of every colour, shape and size all lined up flowering .  So of course I must attach a scanned picture or two, sorry for the quality it doesn't quite bring out the beautiful colours of the flowers that were there.





This photo of my friend Christine doesn't do her gorgeousness justice either, but she was there and can testify of these magnificent flowers. When we lived in Canada Christine lived in the UK, so she would come and visit us every October for Canadian Thanksgiving and we would explore parts of Greater Vancouver, looking at beautiful houses, pumpkins & barns or just eat turkey and corn. I miss those days and I miss Christine.

2 comments:

Roger said...

To a Queenslander those colours look almost unbelievable - and amazingly beautiful.

Stacy said...

I love Dahlias too. They are so pretty. It is harder to grow them in Utah - you have to dig up the bulb (tuber) at the end of every fall and plant it again in the spring. I haven't tried that yet. Maybe when we go back and buy a house.