Friday 14 March 2008

Possums

During the last week or so I have noticed in our back yard some possum fur scattered across the back garden.  I was thinking that maybe Trouble the cat next door had been fighting with the possums.  However last night I kept hearing a strange screeching noise out the back area near our bbq.  So I went out, torch in hand, and discovered a big brush tail possum up in the jacaranda tree.  The noise didn't seem to be coming from this one, as there was another one hidden in the branches making an awful racket.  I went back and got the camera and went through the mine field of spider webs like this one.



I shone the torch and found the second possum, which I think was guarding his territory. A few minutes later he attacked the first one.  There was a mad scramble up in the branches that moved down into the camelia bushes below.  It was action and screeching all the way down, some how they managed not to crash straightaway down on the ground, but to bounce from bush to bush.  Then they dissappeared for a bit.

Five minutes later the noisy one was up in the tree again screeching in the same spot.  I'm afraid our camera didn't like the dark so I only managed to get one blurry photo of the first possum, the shutter seemed to stay open for ages and of course I moved.  If I see them again, hopefully I'll get a better picture and replace this one.


No comments: