Friday 14 November 2008

Gunnedah revisited

Today Ethan is giving his talk on "An interesting place I have visited".  He presented his talk to the class last Monday and was chosen for the finals today.  Three children from each class are chosen one from each house to present their talk in assembly today.  Ethan has such a beautiful, gentle voice that is very calming to listen to, he projects such an air of ease as he presents his talks, I just love listening to him.

Ethan has chosen to talk about our trip to Gunnedah that we did in July, this is his version:

Good Morning everyone. An interesting place I have visited is Gunnedah. My family & I went on a trip to Gunnedah, it took half a day to get there by car. We went to visit my Grandad and Uncles who were working on an irrigation system or pivot. It is a big sprinkler system for a field and it’s very long and it moves on lots of wheels across the field. We think that the pivot was to sprinkle the cotton plants.


While we were there we rode on Grandads orange tractor and I got to try on a welding mask. If you look at the sun with the dark visor down the sun will have no effect on your eyes. We got to put on ear muffs to protect our ears from the loud noise of the impact wrenches. The wrenches screwed on bolts to hold the irrigation system together. Putting one of these pivots together with tools is like putting together a giant lego set.


When we were driving back to the motel from the field, something went wrong. There was smoke coming out of the steering column and we wondered why. We stopped the car and it finished smoking, so we called the NRMA. It took a couple of days to get it fixed and while we waited we found most of the playgrounds and parks in Gunnedah. We kicked the football and climbed on equipment.  I liked visiting Gunnedah because I liked to see my Grandad and Uncles working on the pivot which was the most interesting part.

For a little light entertainment and laughs my versions on our trip can be found here (part 1) and here (part 2) and here (part 3).

No comments: