Sunday 7 December 2008

Christmas 1975

Sitting here at the computer today I am looking at photo's that I scanned from Desley's photo albums in Melbourne.  There are so many photo's and so many memories that I never knew I had.  They make me laugh and they make me cry particularly when I see photo's of our families together enjoying the feast at Christmas time and I think of those in our family who aren't alive to share another Christmas.  So I am going to share a little memory of one Christmas day in Brisbane in 1975.  I think I was about 5 years old.  It's one of the earliest Christmases I can remember all because of a little coconut purse and a giant teddy bear.

I remember waking up at home in Kenmore and going down stairs to where our Christmas tree and presents were and discovering this giant yellow teddy bear for me.  I didn't think it was for me, could I be so lucky to get a giant teddy bear, I was in love.  This teddy could wear and share my clothes we were basically the same size.  This teddy still lives today at my mum's house.

The rest of Christmas day was spent at Desley and Peter's flat in Rosalie, Brisbane with the Hammond families, my dad's side of the family. Presents, swimming and eating were pretty much on the agenda.  My sister Gabby and I had always wanted our ears pierced from when we were little, this didn't happen until we turned 15.  This Christmas in particular was special because we were each given a little coconut purse, I think it was a coconut shell hollowed out and a face made on the outside with a handle to carry.  I know you're thinking what has this got to do with ear piercing....but read on. This coconut had ears as well with little gold hoop earrings on each ear.  You can see it in the photo below, from left: my cousins Lainie and Kerri, Desley with Hernie the cat and behind, me with the big teddy on my shoulders and Gabby holding the coconut purse.  I'm not even sure who gave us the purses. (Click on the photo's to get a clearer view)


I think the first thing we did when we got these presents was to take the earrings off and put them on our own ears.  They weren't pierced but looked close enough.  Didn't we feel grown up and special.  Of course we had to tuck our hair behind our ears so that everyone could see, not that I had long hair or anything, I still remember making sure that everyone could see I had earrings on.  Below in the photo, Lainie, Kerri, our Uncle Peter, Hernie the cat and front Gabby and I with our earrings on. 


These photos below around the pool I think were taken by my Santi Grandma with her box brownie camera that she took everywhere.  I  only say this because I can't see her in any photo's and I know she was there. From left: me, Lainie, Kerri, Desley, my Aunt Lynne and Uncle Mel (my dad's brother).  For those unaware, Christmas in Australia is mid summer, hot and humid particularly in Queensland.


Below from left: two people who were just there, then me, Lynne, Desley, Mel seated, my dad, Gabby and my mum in the apricot safari suit.



Of course after a Christmas dinner (around 1pm) there was desert and sleep for the dad's.  I love seeing the half watermelon filled to the brim with fruit salad, cheese cake and I think trifle in the Corningware dish and eating desert out of large tea cups (although I don't really remember that bit). 


 
Above: I think I love my mum's shoes and her safari suit, that's me eating desert and my dad crashed on the day bed.  I feel love when I look at these old photos, love for my family and love for the memories that they release.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

GREAT pictures, GREAT memories!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I remember those clogs of Mum's - and the safari suit - but I also remember Dad's thongs, and that shirt. But most of all I remember those earrings ! Gabby