Wednesday 24 December 2008

A little bit of Germany

Ever since I have known Donald he and his family have celebrated the Eve of Christmas by giving presents to each other and eating lots of nibblies and trifle. I think Donald's grandmother on his Dad's side, Ruth Lilian Walker's family were of German decent.  So they have continued the German tradition of opening presents on Christmas Eve as have we.  So it is fitting that when my mum was in Germany last year she bought us home a little wooden nativity candle pyramid.  I just love them, we have yet to find candles to fit, light and make the fan spin round, but we make do just blowing them in the mean time. 


This year my mum's thoughtful neighbour Katherine, who is also from Germany, sent down with my mum two little wooden Christmas candle pyramids for us.  She's always giving the boys special treats. Thank you Katherine, I could think of nothing better than to deck my shelves with German woodwork.  Oh I have dreams of so much more.




Merry Christmas Eve to you all and Happy Christmas Day too.  I hope this season brings you and your families much joy.

With love

The Earth Walker Family
xxxxx

3 comments:

Roger said...

Lee always told us that the Christmas Eve thing was because they had to get up so early to look after the animals on Christmas morning - in the snow and all - very dramatic - we still do presents on Christmas morning but have always had one Christmas Eve present to keep Lee happy - and Christmas Eve is the time we do things the same every year.

Debbie said...

Merry Christmas to you too! Those are so beautiful. We had something like that as well, I think my parents still have it! I hope! Hope you have a great evening tomorrow.

Suzi said...

LOVE THEM! Our German decorations are staying safely packed away for a few more years so ensure their long life!