Monday 26 January 2009

Hot, dry memories


It's hot, dry and gusty days like we've been having over the past few weeks that really start to make me think about a place I once worked in North West Queensland.  Arizona Station, Julia Creek.  I've been thinking about it a lot lately.  Reason number 1: I love to reminisce and reason number 2: I love to escape into my past when I'm not so happy with my present and try and bring out the strengths that I had then into today (phew that was a mouth full).  I once was a courageous and adventurous young girl who worked as a governess and a jillaroo (female farm hand) on a cattle station (ranch/farm).  I had no real fears that I can remember, life was just an adventure.  What ever happened...happened. It seems such a long time ago, 21 years in fact.  As it was such a long time ago I have been making notes as I go through my old photos before my brain turns to mush and I forget everything.  I might share a little more with you in time or I may not, depending on my writing skills.

The photo above was my favourite photo taken on Arizona Station.  I've always called this photo the three musketeers.  We were the three permanent workers on the cattle station that lasted the whole year.  On the left was Patric, the same age as me, me in the middle and on the right was Clint an American from Montana learning about life on the land in Australia, he was so laid back.  I often wonder where they are today.  True gentlemen I must add and good value.  The borrowed pig crate we drove blew a few of it's tyres as we drove on to the hot tarmac.   We had to change the tyres in the middle of a stinking hot day, no shade, just our hats and long sleeved shirts to protect us from the unrelenting sun.  In this photo we were on our way home from a weekend stay at Lawn Hill Gorge, a beautiful paradise in the middle of a desert.  Fresh water, canoeing along the gorge to little waterfalls, swimming very briefly as we didn't want to get bitten by the fresh water crocs.  We had to drive through several properties to get there with only a few directions written on a piece of paper, it took most of the day to get there and we had to drive back the next day.  It was a well deserved break away from hard work.    I love this photo, I love the sunset below the heavy clouds, I remember there was a scud off in the distance, a promise of rain that was so needed.  The dry clumpy paddocks with dry, dead grass that were so hard to ride a  motorbike through it was so bumpy and clumpy. I love the calm of this photo, it's the end of the day and peace is in the air as we drive our way home.  Aaah there's a lot to remember in just one photo.  I could go on because I really miss this part of my life, I think these photo's are going to keep me busy, but I'm loving it.  


Oh and don't forget to have a......

Happy Australia Day


4 comments:

Carli said...

Your memories from one photo are so evocative. how I would have loved to have been there with you on that adventure! You have so many packed up stories - I am glad you are sharing some!!!

Stacy said...

Seriously, you have the most amazing life. You have done so many cool things and tell about it so well.

I think you are amazing now even as you were then - you are still adventurous and are still making fabulous choices. Keep up the good work!

Caroline said...

It is funny how someones elses photos can bring so many of your own memories back.

I suppose because I have a lot of photos just like these. I lived & worked on Cattle stations as were all my children born on stations.

Thanks for the memories.

Roger said...

Great photo and story - I can just about smell the dry and dusty air - lovely.