Wednesday 21 January 2009

One of those days

It’s been a hot week and today is no cooler even if there was a tiny storm last night. I didn't sleep much last night and by the time I fell asleep around 1 am Sam was calling out because he had a really bad dream.  So also feeling a little sleep deprived.  Our Millenium (Horrendous) Falcon is in the garage getting the radiator looked at, it’s over heating again, like so many summers past, something or other related to the radiator needs replacing . Here’s an image from 2004 on our drive from Rockhampton to Brisbane, we got no further than Gladstone before the car wouldn’t go any further.


Today is one of those days. The boys are hassling each other and making Toby whine and squeal. I had a fun day planned seeing as though we couldn’t drive anywhere cool we would stay home, keep cool in the paddling pool and make gingerbread and decorate it. We ran out of time at Christmas to do this and I have all of the fixings, so today is the day.

I took the car to the garage early and walked the long way round home...needed some exercise. Got home watered the garden and filled the paddling pool (just a little bit, water restrictions remember). I put my first load of washing on and popped into the shower. Meanwhile the boys were to tidy up the cars (toys cars that is) and get their swimmers on. I came out of the shower and Sam and Ethan were on the back step in time out. They had been hassling Toby about putting a truck away so they could go outside to play, but Toby wanted the truck and S and E got nasty so Donald put them in time out(Donald is a little cranky and sleep deprived at 8.30am after working till 3am).

So 2 boys in time out are given the choice to do some weeding as punishment or to sit there all day - which one would you choose? - anyway Ethan decides to go get the weeding forks and gets bitten by one of our resident giant ants, and they are nasty, they're about 3cm long and have big pincers, guaranteed once a week someone gets bitten.


Ethan wailing, Sam grumbling and Toby wants food. Deep breath, grab the ice pack to put on bitten foot, Sam goes out to weed (grumble, grumble about how hot it is, it’s about 29°C by now). 

Ethan still upset about painful bite and is now hungry for breakfast, Toby still wants more food. Get food, sort out washing put and on a second load. Meanwhile I sneeze half a dozen times and pee myself, just a little bit. Yep you heard right, one of the joyous after effects of giving birth three times, you sneeze-you pee, unless you bend over in time which I didn’t in the throws of many sneezes. Hang out clothes on the line, listen to Sam grumble some more then I hear Toby’s little voice from the back door, “Mummy the laundry’s flooding”.  “Oh *%#@”, I forgot I was filling the washing machine for a hot wash from the laundry tap (the hot water inlet in our washing machine is irreparable) and of course I forgot and it filled up and overflowed. Mopping to do, washing to finish hang out, Sam still grumbling, but Ethan is ready to help him now do some weeding. Deep breath...... Boys weeding for a little while and manage between them to dig up 4 weeds. 4 weeds!! Sam still grumbling and feeling a little upset because it’s hot, and he appologizes most sadly because he hasn’t done much weeding and feeling very sorry for himself. Yep it's time to change the situation. The 3 boys are now happily playing in the pool, I have made the gingerbread mix and is in the fridge awaiting rolling, it’s 11.30am and it’s 34°C. But I have accomplished something today......haven’t I?? I’m sitting here typing this aren’t I??

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisha you poor thing....if nothing else in your day turned out exactly as planned you can at least console yourself with the fact that once again you have done a brilliant posting on your blog and have put a smile on my face as I realise other people have these days to.....maybe my little tribe are normal after all!

Anonymous said...

Opps forgot to put my name on my post above, although staying anonymous does have it's advantages when I am talking about my crazy little tribe :)
Donna S

Mari said...

Oh no....you poor thing! Time Out required!! For you, that is :)

Roger said...

Oddly that all sounds quite fun - I know it's frustrating - but it made me smile - I miss lots of little kids whining about simple things. And not having a car for a few days is annoying and ultimately expensive - but not being able to go anywhere is pretty nice too. Hope the gingerbread was delicious.

Suzi said...

I love these real life confessions! My eye starts twitching just reading it :o/
Mummy needs a time out.Come around here - we have air cond!